background

Monday, January 17, 2011

Janiac!

So I am officially a "Janiac Newbie", Colette-Jane 2-0-0-18! And for once, Jane has nothing to do with Jane Austen, wink wink.

"What exactly is a Janiac Newbie and what's up with that name/number thing?" you ask.

To answer briefly, I will tell you that I have started my "Baby Jane" and I have completed 2 blocks using 18 pieces. Hmmm...still not getting it??? Well you'll just have to pop on over to Dear Jane and read all about it!

Ok, I'll give you a bit more info than that, although its much more fun to read about it at Dear Jane.


1863 Jane A. Stickle Quilt, photo from Brenda Papadakis.

The quilt actually hangs every September-October in the Bennington Museum in Vermont. I have yet to see it, but you better believe I will be dragging R. there this fall to admire it! Jane A. Stickle lived in Shaftsbury, VT in the 1800's and you can even visit her home and cemetery...I am seeing a whole homeschooling unit and field trip in our future ;D You can read more about the History of Jane. A Stickle quilt and her personal history HERE or in the Dear Jane book.


Dear Jane is a quilting book by Brenda Papadakis, dedicated to The Two Hundred Twenty-Five Patterns from the 1863 Jane A. Stickle Quilt. I purchased my book and templates from Brenda's shop, she offers the set for $40, autographs the book, and throws in a "Dear Jane" quilt pin, and best of all there is no shipping fee!


Triangle template


Square Template

I feel a personal connection with this quilt, being so geographically close to me and all, and hope to work on this quilt a little here and there over the next TWO years.

Yep, two years, at the very least! With 169 blocks, 108 triangles, 4 corners, and like somewhere over 2600 pieces, and then it will have to be quilted...its safe to say that I will be working on this for years to come.

Did you notice that new button on the left side of my blog? See that big pink one that says "That Quilt"? Give it a click and you'll be directed over to a Dear Jane devoted blog, where you can finds loads of information on how to make each of the DJ (Dear Jane) blocks. I was particularly inspired by her 1930's Jane. I will be using a variety of 30's prints (I am going to keep mine to pinks, blues, greens, yellows, and purples) that I'll collect here and there along the way. I've chosen Kona Bleached White "PFD" for the background color.

Now here is where my two finished blocks should be inserted, and would be if my daughter R. didn't "misplace" my camera battery ARRGGHHH! I'll get pics and post them here ASAP.

Now what will I do with this quilt when it's finally finished? Hmmm...good question. I hate to make something and not use it, but with all the time and effort and how special this quilt will be, it might just have to be put in R.'s hope chest for a wedding gift or maybe college graduation. One thing is for sure, I will have loads of fun making it :D

Don't forget to check back weekly for updates on my finished blocks!

Happy quilting,
Colette

No comments:

Post a Comment